Save on Your Summer Energy Bills
If you're looking for a little extra room in your budget this summer, our summer energy saving guide can help with simple, low- or no-cost energy conservation strategies.
- Use the microwave more often when cooking. A microwave generates minimal heat, so you won't pay more in air conditioning costs. Microwaves also consume less energy than other cooking appliances like stoves and ovens.
- Replace your air conditioner filters. Dirty air filters restrict air flow, forcing your air conditioner to work harder and use more energy. This also increases wear on the fan, requiring more frequent maintenance. Replace filters once a month, or as often as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Upgrade your light bulbs to LEDs. LEDs use substantially less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and they put out almost no heat. The upfront cost is higher than incandescent bulbs, but you'll recoup the cost in savings on your energy bills.
- Beware electronics such as TVs and video game consoles that have "always-on" settings. Designed to make these devices faster to activate, these settings are often turned on by default – meaning they draw power and drive up your energy bills even when you aren't using them. Turn the setting off.
- Invest in a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats can be linked to mobile devices like your smartphone, making it easy to adjust your thermostat for energy savings when your home is empty. You can also readjust the temperature before returning home so that your rooms are comfortable when you arrive.
- Seal air leaks. You may only notice drafty areas in the wintertime, but those same gaps are leaking out your air conditioned air all summer. Seal any leaks around windows and doors using weather stripping, caulk or spray foam insulation.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient appliances. If you're in the market for replacing appliances like your refrigerator, washer or dryer, choosing an energy-efficient model can help make a difference in your monthly expenses.
Visit our Learning Center for more home maintenance and money-saving tips!
HWA Has You Covered
A home warranty from HWA provides security against the unexpected expenses of inevitable home repairs. Whether you're buying, selling, or already in your home, we have a plan to fit!View Plans