Oven Maintenance Tips
Because taking care of your oven should be as easy as the pie you want to make later today
While not the most complicated appliances in the home, your oven and range are definitely two of the most important. But with proper and regular maintenance on those crucial kitchen components - including the filters, fans, burners, and grates - you can avoid costly repairs costs down the road and extend the life of your oven.
It all starts with cleaning your cooking systems frequently and properly to prevent dangerous grease fires and improve its operating efficiency. After that, the experts from Home Warranty of America (HWA) have the following recommendations for good maintenance of your oven and range.
Electric Range / Oven Maintenance
- Keep your hood and fan/filter clean. They catch the grease and moisture from your cooking and need regular cleaning. Do not clean exposed metal with abrasive pads or powders. You can use a properly mixed ammonia and water solution to clean grease and dirt. You need to dry filters and parts before re-installing.
- You may have a filter that needs to be replaced rather than simply cleaned. Check your manufacturer's instructions for filter cleaning/changing and cleaning your fan.
- Your oven should be cleaned according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Gas Range Maintenance
- If you have gas, clean your burners and grates regularly with hot water and detergent.
- Do not use scouring powders as they can clog the burners' holes. Instead, use a stiff wire to clean out burner holes.
- Never use anything that can break off in the burner hole such as a toothpick.
Is your range or oven not working? As with all systems or appliances, check for blown fuses, tripped circuit breakers, and proper power first – before you call HWA for repairs.
HWA Has You Covered
A home warranty from HWA provides security against the unexpected expenses of inevitable home repairs. Whether you're buying, selling, or already in your home, we have a plan to fit!View Plans