Summer Home Maintenance Tips
Feeling the heat? Follow our easy maintenance tips to make sure your home is ready for summer.
Welcomed by most, summer is a time to enjoy sunny days and warm nights. But as most homeowners know, it's also the time for dreaded energy bills. Make sure your home is prepared for the heat with a few simple but effective tips from HWA.
- Keep your thermostat as high as you comfortably can. The smaller the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures, the less energy you are using.
- Do not set your thermostat lower than normal when turning it on; it will not cool your house any faster, but it will run up your cooling bill.
- Make good use of ceiling fans; they allow you to raise the thermostat up to 4 degrees while maintaining the same cool comfort.
- Keep lamps and TVs away from your AC thermostat. The heat created by these appliances will mislead thermostat sensors and force your cooling system to run longer than necessary.
- Be sure that registers are cleared of dust regularly. Any buildup can cause it to run inefficiently.
- Avoid using your oven as much as possible during the summer months - grill outdoors or use the stove and microwave as alternatives.
- Efficient lighting will keep your house cooler. Up to 90% of the electricity that powers incandescent lights is turned into unwanted heat in your home.
- Make sure your water heater is set to warm (120 degrees) instead of hot. This will avoid scalding and save on energy bills.
- During times of the day when the sun is hottest, pull window treatments closed to block out warm rays and your AC unit won't have to work as hard.
- Have a professional come out to inspect your AC unit before you need it, and maintain it by replacing filters every month.
HWA Has You Covered
A home warranty from HWA provides security against the unexpected expenses of inevitable home repairs. Whether you're buying, selling, or already in your home, we have a plan to fit!View Plans