Home Warranty for Older Homes
Take care of maintenance on your older home with an HWA home warranty
An older home holds plenty of charm, especially for those who appreciate the finer architectural details they so often have, like an elegant front porch, hardwood floors and tiled fireplaces.
Owning one of these gems has its rewards, but it also comes with extra responsibilities that those with newer properties don't have to think about. One of these is modernizing the older systems and appliances that come with the house. If you're concerned about keeping up with the repairs and replacements, that can be a huge worry.
This is where a home warranty can bring you some much-needed financial protection and peace of mind, especially in an older home.
What Does a Home Warranty Do for Your Older Home?
Having a home warranty can remove some of the stress and financial uncertainty a new homeowner faces when purchasing an older home.
- No Appliance Age Limit. Unlike some other home warranty companies, HWA doesn't require an inspection of the appliances or systems before coverage kicks in and there's no age limit. As long as these items are working and functional at the time of purchase, the policy will cover many kinds of breakdowns.
- Help is a Call or Click Away. Calling for help is easy. Without a home warranty, there's an extra hassle that comes with finding an available service technician that you can trust. With HWA, all you have to do is make a single phone call (or file your claim online by logging into your account) and we'll dispatch a vetted and screened, experienced service technician to come to your house.
- Replacements Are Covered. The plan helps you get things back to normal. For many appliances and systems, if the problem can't be repaired, your plan covers a replacement. So if the part needed to fix that aging washing machine is no longer available, a new machine will be brought to your house and installed for you.
Three Things Everyone with a Home Warranty Should Know
Just about everyone who gets a home warranty with their new home — especially if it's an older structure — breathes a sigh of relief knowing that breakdowns will be covered that first year in their new home. Unfortunately, not everyone takes the time to understand the details. Before tucking that home warranty contract into the file cabinet, sit down and read it carefully.
- Out-of-pocket costs: No one likes being hit with unexpected costs. Much like filing an insurance claim, using your home warranty benefit does come with some out-of-pocket costs. Review your contract's section about trade call fees and deductibles, so you can budget for these expenses.
- Coverage: If your property is truly old and hasn't been updated in decades, keep in mind that certain systems may not be eligible for home warranty coverage, such as heat delivery systems that use asbestos, registers or grills. Take time to learn about what kind of systems your home has and how they work, so you're well-prepared if something goes wrong.
- Cap limits: Some areas of coverage have limits on how much will be paid over the course of your contract.
Moving and settling into a new home is a busy time for everyone. Because an appliance breakdown can happen at any time, it always pays to understand what's in your home and what your home warranty can do to make unwanted breakdowns less stressful and less expensive, regardless of the age of your home.
If you have any questions about HWA's warranty plans, pricing or coverage, our customer service team is always just a phone call away at (888) 492-7359.
HWA Has You Covered
A home warranty from HWA provides security against the unexpected expenses of inevitable home repairs. Whether you're buying, selling, or already in your home, we have a plan to fit!View Plans